Our History

Forsyth School was founded in 1961 as a small preschool in a house leased from the Unity Christ Church on Forsyth Boulevard. Founder Mary Dunbar established an environment for creative learning using methods and materials now considered ahead of their time. Soon, a small, non-graded primary school was added for 15 children ages 5–7 whose families wanted to stay at Forsyth. The school expanded by one grade level each year and graduated its first sixth-grade class in 1970. Forsyth had grown to become a highly respected, independent elementary school in an astonishingly brief period.

Chronological History of Forsyth School

Forsyth’s campus consists of six historic homes, acquired one by one throughout the school’s more than 60-year history. All six were built in the 1920s and are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Each has been renovated to accommodate classrooms, administrative offices, a library, science labs, and lunchrooms. The adjoining backyards of the six homes—three each on the parallel streets of Wydown and Forsyth Boulevard—create a large inner campus courtyard with playgrounds, garden beds, athletic spaces, and green spaces. Through the years, new construction has enhanced the campus with the addition of The Rand Center for Performing Arts & Athletics (including the Adventure Center featuring a high ropes course, climbing wall, and high beam), Falcon’s Nest (home of the Eyas Program for ages 2–3), and campus-wide infrastructure updates to support teaching and learning.

The unique campus supports Forsyth’s culture of challenge and defines the educational experience as children grow from grade to grade and move from house to house. Students navigate the campus daily for specialist classes located throughout the campus.

Heads of School

Our Historic Homes

Forsyth’s unique campus setting contributes to its culture. Each historic home, manageable in size for a child, maintains its own character and identity. Forsyth students and their families consider the transition from house to house by grade a special rite of passage. This allows children to develop a sense of place as they become more familiar and comfortable with the campus and community.

Forsyth’s six historic homes are all listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Wydown-Forsyth Historic District by the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Fillmore House [Forsyth]

Built: 1925; Renovated: 2015
Acquired: 1965
Architect: Albert Meyer

Gerdine House [Forsyth]

Built: 1926; Renovated: 2003
Acquired: 1995
Architect: Maritz & Young

New House [Forsyth]

Built: 1927; Renovated: 2004/05
Acquired: 1989
Architect: Maritz & Young

Last House [Wydown]

Built: 1928; Renovated: 2013
Acquired: 1996
Architect: Nolte & Nauman

Next House [Wydown]

Built: 1929; Renovated: 2013
Acquired: 2012
Architect: Dan Mullen

Dunbar House [Wydown]

Built: 1930
Acquired: 1977
Architect: Nolte & Nauman

Our Chronology

1961

  • Forsyth School, founded by Mary Dunbar, opens with 14 preschool students in the Unity School of Christianity building at 6214 Forsyth Boulevard.

1963

  • An adjoining garage is converted into a classroom for 15 children ages 5–7. 

1965

  • The Fillmore Foundation buys the house at 6224 Forsyth Boulevard for Forsyth with the understanding that the school will eventually purchase it from them.

1968

  • Forsyth School purchases Fillmore House, its first property, and continues to lease the Unity School of Christianity building through 1971.

1970

  • Forsyth School’s enrollment reaches nearly 275 students.

1974

  • Forsyth receives accreditation from the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS).

1977

  • Forsyth acquires Dunbar House at 6235 Wydown Boulevard for Grades 2–6, named in honor of Forsyth’s founder upon her retirement.

  • Ellen Mutrux is named Head of School.

1978

  • Barbara Skimming is named Head of School.

1982

  • A two-story addition to Dunbar House is completed. 

  • The Main Office is relocated to Dunbar House, where it remains to this day.

1985/86

  • Additions to Fillmore House and playground improvements are completed. 

  • An art studio is established in the current Falcon’s Nest building. 

  • Rebecca Glenn, Ph.D., is named Head of School.

1989

  • The Forsyth community raises $550,000 to purchase and renovate New House at 6226 Forsyth Boulevard.

1995

  • Forsyth purchases and renovates Gerdine House at 6244 Forsyth Boulevard.

1996

  • Forsyth purchases and renovates Last House at 6245 Wydown Boulevard.

1997

  • The Rand Center for Performing Arts & Athletics is built. (Hastings & Chivetta Architects)

1998/99

  • A four-classroom addition to the north end of Last House is completed. (Cite Studio Architects)

  • The Sport Court is built.

2001

  • Forsyth School purchases former church property at 305 S. Skinker Boulevard.

  • The New House Lunchroom is renovated, and the current Main Office location is created in Dunbar House. (Studio|Durham Architects)

2003

  • The Gerdine House Lunchroom and third floor are renovated. (Studio|Durham Architects)

2004

  • The campus swimming pool is removed. 

  • The Fillmore House Science Lab is renovated. (Studio|Durham Architects) 

  • New House is renovated, and the Williams Walled Garden is built. (SWT Design, Trivers)

2005

  • The New House Arts Center addition is completed. (Trivers)

2006

  • The Adventure Center, with a high ropes course, climbing wall, and high beam (built in 1998), is constructed in the Rand Center. (Industrial Steel Fabricators)

2006/07

  • Forsyth School’s enrollment reaches an all-time high of nearly 400 students.

2007

  • The Rebecca Glenn Playground is built in the center of campus, named for Forsyth’s longest-serving Head of School upon her retirement. (SWT Design)

  • Michael Vachow is named Head of School.

2011

  • Forsyth School purchases a ½-acre lot from St. Louis Hillel at Washington University and sells the church property at 305 S. Skinker Boulevard.

2012

  • Forsyth purchases Next House at 6255 Wydown Boulevard.

2013

  • Last House and Next House are renovated. (Lawrence Group Architects) 

  • The Hillel lot is transformed into the Big Backyard.

2014

  • Forsyth School launches the Back to Our Roots native plant landscaping project.

2015

  • Fillmore House is fully renovated. (Lawrence Group Architects) 

  • Forsyth installs a campus-wide emergency alarm and public address system.

2017

  • Timothy Burns, Ph.D., is named Interim Head of School upon the departure of Michael Vachow.

2018

  • Daniel Hildebrand is named Head of School.

2020

  • The stand-alone Science Center adjacent to Fillmore House is transformed into the current Falcon’s Nest for Forsyth’s new Eyas Program for ages 2–3. (Mackey Mitchell Architects)

  • The Science Center is relocated to a newly renovated Science Lab on the third floor of New House.

2021

  • The Forsyth Boulevard parking lots are renovated.

  • Robert Butler, Jr., is named Head of School upon the retirement of Daniel Hildebrand.